Quote of the Day
If it were not for Carcanet, my library would be unbearably impoverished.
Louis de Bernieres
Subscribe to our mailing list
PN Review 191
Edited by Michael Schmidt
PN Review 191, featuring cover painting 'Keeper' by Mary Harman, 2009, includes:
• Poems by John Ashbery, Jeffrey Wainwright, Fiona Sampson, Jee Leongh Koh and others
• Kathryn Murphy's opinions on collected criticism of Geoffrey Hill
• Neal Ascherson meets the antithetical folk of modern Scotland
• Herbert Leibowitz on the poetry and medicine of William Carlos Williams
• A broad analysis of the current poetry scene, including reviews of Mahmoud Darwish, Basil Bunting, Ros Barber, David Morphet, amongst others
• In his editorial, Michael Schmidt discusses Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote, and its relation to Cervantes' original Don Quixote
Awards won by Michael Schmidt Winner, 2016 Forward Prize for Best Single Poem - Sasha Dugdale's 'Joy', published in PN Review 227 (PN Review 227 )
Praise for Michael Schmidt 'Its pleasures are longer term ones: as you return to it and re-read its substantial selections, you come to appreciate how and what each contributor is working on.'
Jane Routh, The North 66
'...this is the joy of New Poetries VIII: time and again you discover refreshing and compelling new styles and subjects'
Jake Morris-Campbell, The Poetry School
'...probably the most informative and entertaining poetry journal in the English-speaking world.'
John Ashbery 'The most engaged, challenging and serious-minded of all the UK's poetry magazines.'
Simon Armitage 'It has attempted to take poetry out of the backwaters of intellectual life and to find in it again the crucial index of cultural health.'
Cairns Craig, Times Literary Supplement
We thank the Arts Council England for their support and assistance in this interactive Project.
This website ©2000-2022 Carcanet Press Ltd