Quote of the Day
Your list has always been interesting, idiosyncratic, imaginative and your translations [...] have been a source of pleasure to me.
Subscribe to our mailing list
PN Review 189
Edited by Michael Schmidt
PN Review 189, featuring cover painting 'Babujan/ Afrika' by Breyten Breytenbach, includes:
• Poems by Sinéad Morrissey, Simon Armitage, David Rain, Neil Powell and others
• Norm Sibum on Montreal, Romans and Barbarians
• André Naffis interviews Breyten Breytenbach
• Nigel Fabb on the difference between verse and poetry
• A broad analysis of the current poetry scene, including reviews ofW. S. Merwin, Frederick Seidal, Stephen Romer, amongst others
• In his editorial, Michael Schmidt discusses Paul Chowder, American Narrator
Awards won by Michael Schmidt Winner, 2016 Forward Prize for Best Single Poem - Sasha Dugdale's 'Joy', published in PN Review 227 (PN Review 227 )
Praise for Michael Schmidt 'Its pleasures are longer term ones: as you return to it and re-read its substantial selections, you come to appreciate how and what each contributor is working on.'
Jane Routh, The North 66
'...this is the joy of New Poetries VIII: time and again you discover refreshing and compelling new styles and subjects'
Jake Morris-Campbell, The Poetry School
'...probably the most informative and entertaining poetry journal in the English-speaking world.'
John Ashbery 'The most engaged, challenging and serious-minded of all the UK's poetry magazines.'
Simon Armitage 'It has attempted to take poetry out of the backwaters of intellectual life and to find in it again the crucial index of cultural health.'
Cairns Craig, Times Literary Supplement
We thank the Arts Council England for their support and assistance in this interactive Project.
This website ©2000-2022 Carcanet Press Ltd