Quote of the Day
It is impossible to imagine literary life in Britain without Carcanet.
Subscribe to our mailing list
PN Review 238
Edited by Michael Schmidt
Series: PN Review
Categories: 20th Century, 21st Century, African, American, Anthologies, BAME, British, Caribbean, Christianity, Christianity, German, Irish, Jewish, Language, Latin American, LGBTQ+, Memoirs, Polish, Translation, Women
Imprint: PN Review
Publisher: Carcanet Press
Journal (72 pages)
(Pub. Nov 2017)
Out of Stock
• Editorial commemorating John Ashbery (passed away September 2017)
• Previously unpublished poetry by Les Murray
• An elegy poem for Fadwa Suleiman by Marilyn Hacker
• A lecture by Gabriel Josipovici: a major account of risk-taking in translation
• Vahni Capildeo discusses two translators and British/Polish translation
• ‘Europe’ by James Womack, an imitation poem after the German of Marie Luise Kaschnitz
• New poetry by Maureen N. McLane, Dario Jaramillo, Caroline Clark and Lydia Allison
Awards won by Michael Schmidt Winner, 2016 Forward Prize for Best Single Poem - Sasha Dugdale's 'Joy', published in PN Review 227 (PN Review 227 )
Praise for Michael Schmidt '...this is the joy of New Poetries VIII: time and again you discover refreshing and compelling new styles and subjects'
Jake Morris-Campbell, The Poetry School
'...probably the most informative and entertaining poetry journal in the English-speaking world.'
John Ashbery 'The most engaged, challenging and serious-minded of all the UK's poetry magazines.'
Simon Armitage 'It has attempted to take poetry out of the backwaters of intellectual life and to find in it again the crucial index of cultural health.'
Cairns Craig, Times Literary Supplement
We thank the Arts Council England for their support and assistance in this interactive Project.
This website ©2000-2021 Carcanet Press Ltd