Quote of the Day
Devotedly, unostentatiously, Carcanet has evolved into a poetry publisher whose independence of mind and largeness of heart have made everyone who cares about literature feel increasingly admiring and grateful.
Subscribe to our mailing list
PN Review 182
Edited by Michael Schmidt
PN Review 182, featuring the cover photograph of 'Dollhouse, Sinclair, Manitoba' by Heather Benning, includes:
• Poems by R. F. Langley, Jacques Roubaud, Mark Dow, John Fuller and others
• Derek Attridge asks if we can do justice to literature
• Clive Wilmer on Thom Gunn and Shakespeare
• Andrew McNeillie in Conversation with John Fuller
• A broad analysis of the current poetry scene, including reviews ofOdysseus Elytis, Michael Hofmann, Mark Jarman amongst others
• In his editorial, Michael Schmidt celebrates the achievements of C. B. Cox and their formation of PN Review in 1973
Awards won by Michael Schmidt Winner, 2016 Forward Prize for Best Single Poem - Sasha Dugdale's 'Joy', published in PN Review 227 (PN Review 227 )
Praise for Michael Schmidt 'Its pleasures are longer term ones: as you return to it and re-read its substantial selections, you come to appreciate how and what each contributor is working on.'
Jane Routh, The North 66
'...this is the joy of New Poetries VIII: time and again you discover refreshing and compelling new styles and subjects'
Jake Morris-Campbell, The Poetry School
'...probably the most informative and entertaining poetry journal in the English-speaking world.'
John Ashbery 'The most engaged, challenging and serious-minded of all the UK's poetry magazines.'
Simon Armitage 'It has attempted to take poetry out of the backwaters of intellectual life and to find in it again the crucial index of cultural health.'
Cairns Craig, Times Literary Supplement
We thank the Arts Council England for their support and assistance in this interactive Project.
This website ©2000-2022 Carcanet Press Ltd